Rental Process Information
Can I take out additional covers or protections?
Additional and extended covers may be purchased at the counter at start of rental.
Do I need to check the condition of the vehicle prior leaving the location?
Yes, you have to check that the vehicle condition report reflects the actual vehicle condition. If an apparent defect is not listed, please proceed to a joint examination of the vehicle with our employee, in order to update the rental agreement.
May I use my credit card coverage?
Some credit cards may entitle their holders to a degree of cover for damage to, or loss of, the rental vehicle. We are happy to recognise such cards and for the card-holder, in such a case, not to avail himself of the protections set out above and to stand liable for any damage to, or loss of, our vehicle.
Please however be aware of the following:
- If you elect to be covered by your card and decline our protections, you are also declining the recovery service from liable third parties.
- The extent of coverage provided by credit cards varies and is usually subject to certain restrictions, in particular concerning the maximum length of rental and the type of vehicle which can be covered.
- We strongly advise you to contact your Credit Card company before rental and provide details/proof of your coverage when arriving at the at the rental location.
What documents do I need to present at the counter when I pick up my car?
You will need to present to our customer representative:
- Your normal driving license, issued by your country of residence (N.B. For license holders from the UK, where the driving license is issued in 2 parts, both parts of the license need to be presented) and held for at least one year. It will be requested at every rental. Note that your International Driving License is valid only if accompanied by your normal Driving License. Driving License must be valid.
- Your passport will also be required according to Icelandic law for car rentals.
- Your valid credit card with an expiry date after the due check-in date. If you use a prepaid voucher as means of payment (with a specified value or the mention 'Group & Days apply'), you must also present a credit card for those charges which have not been prepaid (such as extras, refueling charge, excess due in the event of damage to or loss of the rented vehicle). We accept all major credit cards.
My driving license has been stolen; can I present a theft declaration instead ?
Under certain restrictive conditions, the declaration of theft or loss of the license may be accepted if the issue date is sufficiently recent in terms of local legislation and if the local conditions are fulfilled (to be checked locally).
Is there a minimum / maximum age for renting a vehicle?
- To rent/drive a passenger car has to be at least 20 years old and driver license held for at least one year.
- To rent/drive a jeep or luxury car has to be at least 23 years old and driver license held for at least one year.
- To rent/drive a bigger vehicles which according to law at any given time requires extended driver license shall present appropriate and valid license at the start of rental.
Can I book a vehicle and pay for it even if I won’t be the person who picks it up and drives it?
No, the Credit Card holder who pays the booking has to be the main driver (renter) as this will be mentioned on the rental agreement.
If I have forgotten my driving license, can I nevertheless take the vehicle ?
No. The driving license is mandatory for renting a vehicle.
What do I need to provide for renting a luxury or special vehicle?
For luxury and special models two credit cards (including at least one major credit card: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club) may be required and an autherication will be requested on each.
What is a Rental Agreement?
The rental agreement is the formal contract, signed by Átak car rental and the customer (lessee) at the time of check-out, which shows the terms of the rental, and the rate applied.
Can the station agent explain the vehicle's controls to me?
When picking up your rented vehicle, feel free to ask the station agent to explain to you its main controls.
Do I need to check the condition of the vehicle prior leaving the keys at the counter?
Yes, and if you found a new apparent defect (not listed on the rental contract at time of pick up) you have to inform our employee for a joint examination. Even if no accident occurred the vehicle may have been damaged during the rental and this has to be indicated to our staff at the return. If an accident occurred during the rental you must declare it and give the documentation."
Can I extend the rental duration?
Extending the rental duration is possible at time of check-out or during the rental itself (according to our acceptance). You have to contact or come in person to our nearest rental location .The extension is subject to vehicle availability and extra payment. A complementary authorisation may be requested on your credit card.
Fines: Parking Tickets, Traffic Violations
Parking tickets and any traffic violations are the responsibility of the renter who must pay them before returning the vehicle. Congestion charges or fines received by us after the rental will be charged directly to the renter, including a surcharge for late payment, if any. A local administration fee applies: this will be charged in addition to the fines.
Do I need to return the car with a full tank?
Vehicles are supplied with a full tank of fuel and you should return the vehicle with a full-tank. Otherwise, you will be charged for missing fuel at the end of the rental. Our rates do not include fuel. Refueling charge applies.
If you need to contact us regarding any lost items, please call or contact us through this web page and we will do our very best to help you reclaim your lost item. However, please note that we can accept no liability for items left in the vehicle at the end of the rental.
What methods of payment are accepted by Átak car rental?
Credit Cards: We accept major credit cards: American Express, Diners Club, Mastercard, Visa. Credit cards are accepted to the limits authorised by the credit card company. Debit cards are NOT accepted at time of reservation or rental. Prepaid vouchers (with a specified value or the mention Group Days Apply) are accepted as means of payment of the rental charges, but they must be accompanied by a credit card for the charges which have not been prepaid (extras, refueling charge, excess due in case of damage to or loss of the rented vehicle)."
Can I return a vehicle to another station than the one where I rented it? How much does it cost?
If you want to return the vehicle to different station from the station where you start your rental, just choose the corresponding stations when you “start a quote” on the first page of our web site. The system will automatically answer you if the route you have chosen is possible and the corresponding price including the one way charge, if any.
What happens if the one-way isn’t authorised but I do not return the vehicle to the departure station?
If you return the vehicle to a different station when you have booked on a rate which does not allow the one way, you will be then charged a higher rate.
Can I return the vehicle outside the location opening hours?
Yes, you may return your vehicle when the location is closed, but please check return facilities when picking up the car. That is to say, please ask if a key return box is available at the check-in station.
CAUTION: The vehicle will remain your responsibility until it has been checked by our representative.
Can payment be made at a given station and the car rented at another one?
No. The renter must be qualified at the pick-up location with his own form of payment, valid driving license, passport and meet the minimum age requirements. The invoice is issued by the entity of the pick-up location.
What happens if I return the car late?
In most cases, our rates are daily rates where a day is considered as 24 hours, counted from the time the rental starts. If you return the car late, your rate will be recalculated, adding an extra day for each additional 24 hours you have kept the car. Each 24 hour period started counts as a whole rental day. In fact we offer you 60 minutes grace period after the 24 hours are up, just to give you a bit more time. So a rental of 24 hours and 60 minutes still counts as a one day rental.
IMPORTANT: Remember that your insurances only cover you for the period mentioned on the Rental Agreement you made when you picked up the car. So if you decide to return the car later than first planned, please drop into the rental station (or call) to amend the Rental Agreement.