Frequently asked questions
Booking and payments
- Driver must be at least 18 years old. The driver must hold a valid licence throughout the period stated in the rental agreement.
- For small cars: Drivers who are under 20 years old are subject to an additional young driver fee.
- For Minibus and SUV’S: Drivers who are under 23 years old are subject to an additional young driver fee.
- All drivers are required to present an appropriate driving license, valid for the car rented at the beginning of the rental and a valid passport. Both ID´s will be scanned and may be kept up to two years. Copies are not accepted.
- We accept all driving licenses issued by countries within the EU and USA/Canada. If you are from a country outside those regions, we will accept your driving license if it has a license number, your photo, a valid date and is in roman alphabet. If your driving license does not fulfil those requirements, you will need an international driving license to drive in Iceland.
- Icelandic law applies to the driver.
Yes you can !
The terms "all-wheel drive" and "four-wheel drive" are often used interchangeably, but they really shouldn't be. There are key differences between the two. Perhaps you've never known the differences between all- and four-wheel drive and were afraid to ask, or maybe you didn't realize they mean different things.
Basically, an all-wheel drive system can send a variable amount of torque to each axle, and the driver doesn't typically control this. A four-wheel drive system sends a fixed amount of power to each axle, and it can be switched on or off by the driver. So, how do they go about doing their jobs? Generally, an all-wheel drive system uses a center differential to distribute the engine's torque between the two axles, while four-wheel drive relies on a transfer case, which functions like a locked differential.
At this point you might be wondering why there's a need for both of these types of systems, since the aim of both is to distribute power to all four wheels. Four-wheel drive is great for off-roading and other low-traction scenarios, since the system sends a fixed amount of power to each tire. Whichever tire has the most traction is guaranteed to get the power it needs, helping prevent the vehicle from getting stuck.
But four-wheel drive often doesn't work on the road for the exact same reason it works so well off road. In a corner, the wheels of a car spin at different speeds. With four-wheel drive selected, the system tries to get each wheel spinning at similar speeds, which makes on-road cornering difficult. That's why most four-wheel drive systems can be operated in a two-wheel drive mode, which is recommended for road use.
All-wheel drive systems are great for road usage because they can actively send power to the wheel (or wheels) that need it most. Some all-wheel drive systems have a fixed torque split between the front and rear axles, but those don't have the same issues with cornering as four-wheel drive systems since they rely on a differential rather than a transfer case.
Of course, there are lots of different types of all- and four-wheel drive systems that buck these conventions.
We offer these options:
Yes, you can modify or cancel your reservation after it is confirmed, you simply need to send us an email to our customer service representative.
For changes to reservations made via a travel agency or third-party broker, please contact the relevant agent.
Our cancellation policy is as follows:
- All cancellations made prior pickup are 100% refunded.
- No shows are not refunded (0% refund)
- If you pick up the car but decide to drop off early, we do not refund the unused, or partly used rental day(s) unless amendments to booking or cancellations have been made prior to the pick-up date.
We guarantee the vehicle group you booked or car in similar size.
All our cars have studded/spiked winter tires during the winter months, more specifically from November 1st until April 15th.
Extras and Insurances
You can book additional extras online or at the counter, they involve extra cost and are subject to availability.
Please view our Extras page for details.
You can use third party coverage.
Pay attention to the following:
- Contact your third-party insurance company for your insurance details.
- You will first pay the car rental for any damage according to our terms and conditions and then claim your cost to your insurance provider
Átak has put together insurance packages so you can have better coverage for lower rates, please review our Insurance page for more details.
- Damage owing to war, revolution, civil unrest, or rioting.
- Damage inflicted by, or by colliding with animal.
- Damage to seats, carpets, mats, or other parts of the interior.
- Damage to the vehicle’s parts when driving on rough or uneven road surfaces, including but not limited to causes like; ridges left by road graders, stones lodged in the road surface or at the edge of the roadway, speedbumps, or potholes. This applies to damages affecting tires, undercarriage, batteries etc.
- Damage resulting from driving in places where the vehicle is not permitted to be driven, such as on closed roads, tracks, rough trails, in snowdrifts, on ice, across un-bridged rivers or streams, on beaches, on causeways accessible only at low tide or in other off-road areas (see article 3.7 “During the rental” in the terms and conditions.)
- Damage caused by water to the vehicle, engine, computers, interior etc.
- Damages caused to the vehicle by the wind blowing up doors, tailgate, or bonnet.
- Damages caused by the driver being under the influence of alcohol, stimulants, or sedatives, or in any other way incapable of driving the vehicle in a safe manner.
- Damage resulting from gross negligence.
- Damage to engine or other mechanical parts due to incorrect fuel use.
- Damages caused by vehicle rolling over.
- Broken, lost or missing parts from the vehicle, either by theft or other circumstances.
- The cost of hiring an interpreter.
- Towing and Rescue.
Yes we do !
Keflavik Int. airport rental staion:
Every day: from 06:00 to 18:00
Weekdays; from 08:00 to 16:00
Saturdays: from 09:00 to 12:00
Keflavik Int. airport rental station:
December 24 open from 06:00 to 16:00
December 25 open from 07:00 to 16:00
December 26 open from 06:00 to 18:00
December 31 open from 06:00 to 16:00
January 1 open from 07:00 to 16:00
Free Icelandic water, best water in the world and you should use the opportunity to fill up you bottle.
Seating area with free WIFI
We have an office at the international airport, Keflavík, Arnarvöllur 4b.
Check out information
Extending the rental duration is possible at time of check-out or during the rental, subject to our acceptance, vehicle availability and extra payment.
Yes, you must check that the vehicle condition report reflects the actual vehicle condition. If an apparent damage is not listed, please proceed to our employee to update the vehicle condition report.
Please give us a call, during opening hours, if your flight is delayed or cancelled. You can also send us an email and we will replay during opening hours.
Our rental office and service centre is open between 06:00 and 18:00 and we only check out vehicles during that time.
During opening hours, the grace period for check out is 60 minutes.
We cannot be held responsible for customers late arrival due to flight delays or cancelled flights.
Reservations will be honoured for a one hour after the confirmed pick-up date and time during normal business hours. Let us know right away if you are late.
You will need to present the following when you pick up the car:
- Your passport.
- Your booking confirmation/voucher.
- Physical driving license (or international license) for the car group you have booked.
- Credit or debit card.
- Main driver and extra drivers must be present at pick up to sign the rental agreement.
During the rental
If your car breaks down, please call us immediately, the phone number is located at the top of the rental agreement.
Included in all rentals is fuel discount key/fob.
If you pick up the car, but decide to drop off early, we do not refund the unused, or partly used rental day(s) unless amendments to booking or cancellations have been made prior to the pick-up date.
All over Iceland there are parking lots that you must pay to park in.
Our fleet is 100% smoke and vape free.
An extreme cleaning fee will be charged if the non-smoking policy is violated.
F roads are highland roads in the highlands of Iceland. You will need to drive a 4x4 car on the F roads.
Check out an informative brochure about F roads in the highlands of Iceland here. It contains information about road opening times and much more.
Vadlaheidargong tunnel is a new 7,5 km tunnel, located on the ring road close to Akureyri in Northen Iceland.
There is a toll for driving through the tunnel which can only be paid online. If you pay within 24 hours, before or after your passing through the tunnel, there will be no fine.
Please note that if you do not pay online the car rental will be notified and will charge your credit card for the fare plus the service fee.
More information about the tunnel and how to pay can be found here.
Please call our service centre + 354 554 6040
In case of a severe accident or injuries please contact the police at 112.
We recommend checking weather and road condition before you start your day.
Check in information
You can return your vehicle when the location is closed, however out-of-office fee will apply. The vehicle will remain your responsibility until it has been checked by our representative the next morning.
We have a key drop box inside the entrance on the right.
The shuttles bus runs between 06:00 and 18:00.
Full to full policy!
You can contact us by email regarding any items left behind in the car and we will do our best to help you reclaim them.
You need to return the car at our office at Keflavik airport.
When dropping off your rental we suggest you do it 3 hours prior to your flight.
There is a service fee for all fines or charges that result from renter’s use of the vehicle.
We offer you 60 minutes grace period after the agreed end rental time.